Tuesday, November 9, 2004

Welcome to My Life ~~ Can't They Find a Pill For the Fatigue?

Okay, I gave in today.  After a long visit with my primary care doctor yesterday and a lenghty conversation with my rheumatologist today it was decided that I start prednisione.  I start it tomorrow morning.  I had been fighting it for a very long time.  I don't do well on prednisione at all.  Let's just say I become a Dr. Jeckel.  But my rheumi assured me that this low dosage (20mg) will be fine and I won't become a psycho.  He told me that it will help with how I have been feeling.  Ever since I have been out of the hospital I have been in and out of this flare.  The fatigue has been so horrible it has incapacitated me at times.  there have been days I haven't had the sufficient ability to move off the couch.  All of my spoons have been used up just waking up and washing my face and brushing my teeth.  The pain in my  joints and muscles is tormenting me.  I can no longer walk  right.  Always bumping into something.    I'm tired of all of this.  Hence, my giving in to prednisione.  The doctor assures me that this will work.  And, on Thursday we will talk about once again resuming the chemo drugs.  Apparently, they did more good than I thought they did.  That's another thing my primary care doc and I talked about during my appointment yesterday.  He told me "Lu, you are never going to feel the way you used to feel.  You may feel better than you feel now.  But you won't feel like you did 3 years ago. I'm sorry."  I said..........Nope....... 3 years ago I didn't have a care in the world...... I didn't have a pain in my body....... my hair wasn't falling out......... my face wasn't red and swollen...... my fingers weren't swollen........ I will never see those days again.  I'm trying to live with this.   I told him the hardest thing is the fatigue.  If there was just a pill for the fatigue.  Is there a pill for that.  Geez, I take 11 different kinds of meds some 2 times a day............. Can't they come up with one to help with the fatigue?????????????

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart. You seem so strong for everything you go through. I have arthritis in my knees and lower back. They are trying me on new medications. Vioxx used to help me. Not anymore though! Take care and thanks for your sweet comment in my journal. God bless, Beckie

Anonymous said...

Your in my prayers and I have found hope in your strength.. I have started a new journal of inspirational poetry I would like you to check it out.

                             God Bless, DeSoulsHeartbeat
http://journals.aol.com/desoulsheartbeat/WhispersofGodsWordetry/

Anonymous said...

hve you tried provogil? i don't know about lupus much, or my own MonSter, but sometimes it works for us. sara

Anonymous said...

It takes time to accept the status quo...and, darn it, how are you supposed to accept the status quo when it won't stop changing? I really hope the prednisone gives you some relief. I know what a huge decision it is to use the steroids.
(((((GENTLE HUGS)))))) love, Loretta

Anonymous said...

Provigil...seems to be the miracle drug for fatigue. My husband has chronic fatigue syndrome, borderline narcoleptic, fibromyalgia, RA among other things all of which cause fatigue. My sister has multiple sclerosis which is also causing her a lot of fatigue. They are both on Provigil. My sis for a little over a year, my husband for about 6 months. They are both doing so much better and able to feel alive again. Might be something to ask your DR about. Whichever you choose, i do hope it works well for you. =o) Take care & smile from within.   ang

Anonymous said...

Lu dear, I am praying the prednisone will be effective for relieving symptoms without adding side effects.  It really does help with fatigue!
loving you
karyl

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope that the prednisone helps as well.  :)  Oh, and I see others mentioned Provigil...here is more info on it... http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a602016.html
...it wouldn't hurt to mention it to your doc, you never know.  Best of luck.  Stop by and check out my journal when you get a chance...and answer the poll question if you'd like.  Thanks.
JF  http://journals.aol.com/fjrav/ProspectiveonRotations/entries/640/

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!  I understand fatigue with illness.  It is worse than pain, isn't it?  I hate it.  It robs me of so much.  I am sorry it has taken me so long to write back, but it has been fatigue.  Go figure.  I will write more in an email.  So, I take 17 pills a day myself.  That is not counting the asthma pumps and PRN's.  I sooooo understand.  God bless you.  Oh, prednisone puts me in the psych ward.  I need to read more and see how you turned out on this....