Saturday, December 4, 2004

SATURDAY MORNING ~~ FEELING FUNKY

I'm tired this morning.  I think it has been all the running around I have done.  Finally, the head cold I have been fighting has reared its ugly head.  My head feels as if it is full of pressure.  Oh well, I don't have anything to do today.  So, I am going to rest on the couch. I can't take any over the counter medications because my doctor said they interact too much with all the prescriptions meds I am currently taking.  So I just have to grin and bare it.  He told me that if it gets really bad to call him.

There is something he figured out too.  When I was in the ER on 9/29 because I was experiencing pain in my left groin area.  They diagnosed me with diverticulitis.  While I was in the ER they had me on IV antibiotics........sent me home with 2 scripts for antibiotics ...... Cipro and Flagyl.  As well as enough pills until I got my prescriptions filled.  My doctor called for ER records for that day.  What they gave me in the IV and the prescriptions had side effects which caused seizures, dizziness, loss of coordination, and confusion.  He knew that about the 2 prescriptions they gave me but wasn't sure what they gave me IV.  He is pretty sure that is what caused what happened to me 3 days later when I was admitted to the hospital with severe confusion, disorientation and what they thought was stroke symptoms.  His exact words were........"Great, they give you these antibiotics.  You come in with this sheet and they give you this.  Amazing!"  All things have a reason.  People were so quick to make judgements.  The hospital staff couldn't come up with what was wrong so they were quick to say I was depressed.  My doctors were guessing.  This doctor was worried.  At every visit since I was discharged from the hosiptal he would go over the facts of that day.  They never called him when I went in to the ER on the 29th, they called my surgeon.  Not until I told him that they gave me those antibiotics the wheels start turning.  Thank you Dr. C for never judging me.  And, thank you to all the others for judging me.  Because it only made me ask more questions and get more answers.

Tomorrow is my niece, Dena's, Baby Shower.  This is something I really want to attend.  Christina will be driving so all I have to do is get dressed and get in the car and then sit in the restaurant. Dena is one of my favorite people.  She is so sweet. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The medical community never ceases to amaze me.  I have had my share of ER visits and sometimes what they do is questionable at best.  My favorite is discharging people when you know good and well they shouldn't be.

Hugs,

Deb

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((Lu))))))))))))))))) I'm sorry you're battling a cold on top of everything else. I would say, 'I can't believe the meds you got through the IV in the ER' but I can. I had a doctor deliberately give me a med that I was allergic too. I know it happens. I hope your doctor can figure all of this out and get you back to being yourself. Have fun at the baby shower!! : )

Love and hugs,
Susan

Anonymous said...

WOW, sounds like you ahve a great doctor that is watching over you!...Awesome...

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Lu dear, I am hoping you get to go to the baby shower and have a wonderful time!
Re the meds they gave you, I hope the doc is able to track down exactly what caused your problems and you can avoid them in the future.
loving you
karyl