Monday, October 11, 2004

Christopher Reeve

Christopher Reeve died on Sunday.  And, although I disagree with his position on a few things I do believe that he was a heroic man.  His life was changed drastically after he broke his neck in May 1995 when he was thrown from his horse.  In the article I read this morning it said.......

A few months after the accident, he told interviewer Barbara Walters that he considered suicide in the first dark days after he was injured. But he quickly overcame such thoughts when he saw his children.

"I could see how much they needed me and wanted me... and how lucky we all are and that my brain is on straight."

But what got me was that he said .......

"I refuse to allow a disability to determine how I live my life. I don't mean to be reckless, but setting a goal that seems a bit daunting actually is very helpful toward recovery," Reeve said.

I have been feeling sorry for myself lately. Grieving my independence over my inability to drive.  Gosh, he couldn't even walk.  I can walk.  I cried yesterday, actually sobbed to Gary because I felt useless.  I felt like I used to be the caregiver and now I was the one who needed the care.  Christopher Reeve needed 24 hour care.  I don't.  God does work in mysterious ways.

Anything written above in blue italics was copied from the article I read. To view the entire article about Christopher Reeve's death and where I copied the picture above from please go to.......http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/entertainment/article.adp?id=20041011023709990003

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lu dear, isn't it amazing how we can get a different perspective on our own problems by reading about someone else's battles?  And how their good attitude can encourage us?
loving you
karyl

Anonymous said...

((((((((((Lu))))))))))) I have cried to J about feeling useless to. I know where you're coming from on that one. I hope you are feeling some better. Hang in there.

Love and hugs,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Like you, Lu, I do not agree with Christopher Reeves 100%, but I have always admired the man, even prior to his accident. He just seemed more normal than most Hollywood celebs. And the way he chose to live his life after his tragedy is awe striking when you really know how hard it is to push yourself when you have been knocked down so hard.
This is really an excellent entry Lu, because now you have gotten me thinking. When I was diagnosed...I started letting go of all my goals, but I didn't need to do that... I just need to adjust and maybe create some new goals. It is so easy to feel lost and adrift when you are home sick all the time.
Lu even without wheels, there is just so much you will be able to do.
I am so sorry that you have lost your freedom to drive, dear friend, I truly am.
(((((HUGS))))) With Love, Loretta