Monday, August 16, 2004

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN

 THE ROAD NOT TAKEN

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

                                    

I have always loved this poem by Robert Frost.  Maybe because I can relate to how he has metaphorically described the  trip I have so often taken throughout my life filled with twists and turns. While I have been taking this trip in my life there were times where decisions between paths have had to be made.  Choosing the "already known easy path in life"  I have frequently have had to endure reassures that the outcome will be predictable. While choosing the "less traveled" road it represented the gamble of facing a more difficult path in life in hopes to achieve an incomparable and satisfactory life, contrasting the more familiar lives maybe other people take might take.  It has scared me.

The Road Not Taken describes choice. After vacillating between the two roads, he finally decides to take the road "less traveled by"; knowing he cannot see where it will lead. I have often been afraidto take that "less traveled road."  But now I have no choice.  Lupus has put me on that road.  I am traveling on it.  I am not afraid any longer.  This is the Road my life is taking me.  The LESS TRAVELED ROAD.  And, its an amzaing road!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lu!
This is one of my favorite poems! In my youth I hungered for the road less traveled. Life with lupus drives you to that unknown path, forcing you on an adventure not of your choosing. But, yes, friend...you are so correct...what an amzing journey that road leads us down. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

It is funny how much we have in common Lu!  This is one of my favolrite poems too.  The other one is the one that says...Rage, rage against the dying of the light.  Its about how you feel when you are fighting against death.  Kinda like we feel every day huh?  
Love,
Mariann