Sunday, August 8, 2004

he Inflammatory Process and Autoimmunity

That's me and my Mom!

The Inflammatory Process and Autoimmunity

The normal inflammatory response process is a byproduct of our body's immune system.  Which fights infection and heals wounds and injuries.  When an injury or an infection occurs, white blood cells are mobilized to rid the body of any foreign proteins, such as a virus. The masses of blood cells that gather at the injured or infected site produce cell to repair wounds, clot the blood, and fight any infective agents. In the process the surrounding area becomes inflamed and some healthy tissue is injured. Under normal conditions, the immune system has other factors that control and limit this inflammatory process.

Blood tests reveal that SLE patients are more likely to have been exposed to certain viruses than the general population, but experts have not been able to identify any specific virus as the primary suspect.

Among the viruses that provokes some interest are the Epstein-Barr virus (the cause of mononucleosis), cytomegalovirus, and parvovirus-B1. These viruses are very common, however, and in any case, it is unlikely that viruses are the sole cause of SLE, since immune system defects vary widely from patient to patient.

Some research suggests that different viruses may imprint specific types of SLE. For instance cytomegalovirus may affect blood vessels and cause problems such as Raynaud's phenomenon or blood abnormalities, but may not affect the kidney as much.

Sunlight. Ultraviolet (UV) rays found in sunlight are important SLE triggers. When they bombard the skin, they can alter the structure of DNA in cells below the surface. The immune system may perceive these altered skin cells as foreign and trigger an autoimmune response against them. 

Drug-Induced Lupus. Some people develop lupus symptoms after taking certain prescription drugs. So far about 40 drugs in current use have been linked with the onset of lupus. Drug induced lupus is eliminated after stopping the medications.

Yup, this is getting a bit complicated me thinks.  But, Lupus is a very complicated illness.  Just think how hard it is to diagnoses it.  How hard it must be to treat it.   Yet, how hard it must be for a person to live their life with it.  If it is hard for medical experts to figure out how to get a handle on this illness.  An illness that has been around for hundreds of years.  Can you imagine how hard it must be for us to deal with these medical professionals?  For years many people have been going to doctors only to be sent away being told that their symptoms are only in their head.  Some only to be suffering terribly.  Experiencing paralizing fatigue.  Horrible pain.  And, even worse.....when it becomes too late to do anything about it... organ involvement.  I had to have two strokes for anyone to really take me seriously.  Then all of a sudden doctors were listening to me.  Why, all because I didn't have a positive ANA.  After all without a positive ANA I couldn't possibly have Lupus.  Here is a good article that explains how Non Positive ANA Lupus can exist.  Ask the Expert- Does ANA-negative lupus exist?  It didn't matter that I had 7 out of the 11 diagnostic criteria and a positve antiphisiploid antibody.  Oh now they take me seriously.  And, I am thankful.  But what about all the others out there who are still suffering?  Believe me I wasn't looking to have Lupus.  I was just looking to stop hurting.  I was just looking to be treated.  I just wanted to be fixed.  I just wanted to stop being sick all the time.  I know that I still feel that way all the time.  But, now I know that the doctors can treat me.  There are things that they can do to make me feel better sometimes.

Again, I remain....

       Lu The Lupus Lady

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really am grateful for the information, Lu!
I especially appreaciate the negative ANA link. I have to go back to that one when I am more alert. As discussed...I am in the ANA negative bunch...from my reading that is less than 5% of the lupus population. But, I have a positive on the skin biopsy...so that led my rheumy to diagnose me...I also had a lot of the junk on the lupus laundry list.
It is all so confusing.
Sigh...my way of dealing with it....

If it looks like.*****
smells like ****
and tastes like ****
then it's probably ****.

;)

Anonymous said...

Luanne,  that is a great write up....  Do you happen to know just what drugs have been linked to the onset of lupus??