Tuesday, August 17, 2004

CHARLOTTE'S WEB

UPDATE  08/21:  CHARLOTTE IS GONE!  I have no idea what happened to her.  I have been watching for her these past few days and have't seen hide nor hair of her.  It's so sad.

A spider has taken up residence outside my bedroom window. And, I have become inclined lately to sit and watch her spin her web during the dusk hours.  I have named her Charlotte.  Charlotte is about the size of a nickle.  Quite big for a spider around here.  Gary doesn't want to even look at her.  But she intrigues me.  I remember when the kids were small we used to watch the Charlotte's Web video endlessly.  They used to cry at the end when Charolotte died.  And would ask me why Charolotte had to die.  It was very hard to answer that question.  To try to explain the life and death mystery to a 2 and 4 year old was very hard.  Heck, its a hard thing to do now.  But, its still a mystery and I don't pretend to understand it.  Everything has a season, is all I understand.  Some seasons last longer than others.  And, I am just going to accept that.

Back to Charlotte.  She is black and white from what I can see.  A very beautiful spider.  I will have my son take a digital picture of her later on today.  Her web isn't very symetrical from what I can see.  It sparkles in the rain.  The sun obstructs it.  She likes to come out in the dark. 

 I don't see her during the day much.   Here is something I copied off the web about spiders:

House spider is a common name for several spiders that often inhabit buildings. One well-known example, the American house spider, lives throughout North America. It has a round brown body about 1/4 inch (6 millimeters) long. The American house spider spins a tangled web, which consists of a jumble of threads.

Other house spiders belong to a group that builds funnel webs. These webs narrow into a funnel at one end, where the spider spends most of its time. Funnel-web house spiders once lived onlyin Europe, but they are now common in North America. They have a spotted brown and gray coloring.

It's relaxing to watch this spider.  Just thought I would share this about my spider.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this one. I love to watch spiders to. There was a little poem I loved as a child, it went something like this ( can't rememeber it all) "Will you come into my parlor said the spider to the fly."
I watch them from a distance of course.
Willow

Anonymous said...

Lu, There is this wonderful story By Corrie Ten Boom who had been imprisoned by the Nazis for hiding her neighbors. They had placed her in solitary confinement. She was a woman of deep faith and even in prison she would seek God with gratitude. The only company she had in her cell were some ants. She watched them endlessly and they filled the lonely hours for her. http://www.corrietenboom.com/
My personal favorite are "wolf spiders". They do not build a web...they run about and chase their food. They carry their babies on their backs. It is considered "bad luck" to remove them from your home.
Isn't nature amazing?
:)