Sunday, September 4, 2005

It's been a long weekend.  Gary and I have been watching the News coverage of the effects of Katrina.  Watching this makes everything else seem petty in comparison.  How I am feeling?  Whatever I feel, it all pales to what is going on in the Gulf States.  I have found myself wondering about those people who feel as sick as I do but live there.  Without any resources.  Without the necessary, basic tools for living.  I cannot imagine. 

I sit here in my comfortable house complaining that I am warm.  How selfilsh of me.  I am able to rest because my husband is taking over today because I'm feeling like crap.  I was able to get into the shower to clean myself.  How can all of this devastation be fixed?

The news commentator said that they are expecting the death toll to be in the thousands.  I look at the coverage and imagine that it's like a third world country.  But, it's not.  It's in America. 

People are saying that our government waited too long to send help.  People are saying it's because those there are poor and black.  I'm sad to think "What if this is true?"  I cannot comprehend this reasoning.  We are one nation.  We should be sticking together.  But there are always those who will complain no matter what is going on.  The Constitution allows this.  It's a right we have to express our opinions openly without fear of reprisal.  This is what makes me realize when I look at the pictures on the news that it is not a third world country.  It is America.

I keep praying for these victims.  I keep them in my thoughts constantly.  I keep saying...... But there for the Grace of God, Go I.  My prayer is that the victims continue to have HOPE.  Not to lose FAITH.  I will continue to pray for them, for our country and for a exhibition of FAITH in God, like we have never seen before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lu dear you are so right that the suffering in the Gulf Coast for the past week and that is stll ongoing for some is horrendous.  The storm's destruction of property and structures was awful but the anarchy that followed is intolerably hideous to me.
I have been joining with you in prayer for out brothers and sisters who are suffering.
loving you
karyl