Tuesday, September 27, 2005

It's a beautiful autumn day.  The trees are blowing with the morning autumn wind.  Leaves are falling.  This has me remembering a time past.

On days such as today I used to rush to get dressed and go outside with my broom and rake in hand.  My obsessive personality would force me to clean up every leaf that fell.  I would take strange pleasure in seeing a clean sidewalk and lawn.  Happy to view the large black bags filled with the fallen autumn leaves.

Fast forward to this morning.  I can no longer go outside and snatch up every fallen leaf.  I no longer want to.  I am taking great pleasure from seeing all the leaves on the ground.  This is what autumn is all about.  No need for me to rush out and clean everything up.

I believe I have changed.  And, I am sure that this change is for the best of me.  Things are the way they should be.  My life and the leaves are right where they are supposed to be.

Just as I can't change the leaves falling to the ground.  I was never able to get every last one anyway.  I cannot change the path that my life has taken.  Things are different.  Things change.  I now know that I can live with these changes.  I am still ill, but being ill doesn't have to have me.  I will go along with the flow of things the best way I can.

I can rejuvenate my spoons by learning how to use them.  The first and most important way to do this is to learn to accept and not stress.  Life is good.  I am learning to be thankful for what I have rather than grieving over what has been lost. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lu dear, congratulations on choosing to enjoy the leaves rather than conquer them!
And bigger congrats on choosing to enjoy life rather than conquer it!  Celebrate teh new woman you are dear; she is amazing and valuable!
loving you
karyl

Anonymous said...

((((((((((Lu))))))))) I'm so happy for you. And strangely jealous all at the same time. I want leaves on the ground! You should take a picture of your new yard. Enjoy the new you. I think she's wonderful. " ) Congrats on the change.

Hugs,
Susan

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!
Love,
Loretta

Anonymous said...

I always liked the lawn better covered with leaves to shuffle through anyway, but I am glad you are using your spoons well. Margo

Anonymous said...

Hi Lu,  I couldn't sleep last night, my mind wondering about the fact that I have changed, being a type A personality like you, I could work circles around the best of them. I also have accepted the fact that I can't do the things that I used to such as yard work. But I have learned to work around my disability, instead of hoeing an entire garden, I can sit on the ground and weed a small area and I am thankful when I can do that. This change in us is almost like a death of our old selves. What  a coincidence, when I get on-line this morning and read your entry. You see your not alone. The difference is that it has taken me over 20 years to get to this point, so you are fortunate that you have reached this point so early in your disease. Now I am so thankful when I can spend a day with pain relief and function to handle simple activities of daily living because I know where I could be in comparison..flat on my back suffering and unable to do anything for months and months. It doesn't mean that I don't back- slide sometimes during a flare and cry "why me" but we are human and I don't beat myself up for it. Just accepting our limitations, does allow peace. God Bless! Love, Tina

Anonymous said...

Luanne,

Dealing with chronic illness is a circle...and sometimes you may go back to stage one of anger, then frustration and then grief before you get back to acceptance again - but it is okay because I am here with you and I am going round and round sometimes too.  I am happy that you are in a good place...things are looking up for you and autumn is the perfect time to rejuvenate!  The air is fresh and crisp!

Enjoy...

Know that I am here with hugs and love,

Dawn