Saturday, May 7, 2005

TIRED ~~ THE EFFECTS OF INSOMNIA AND PAIN

Happy Saturday!!!

I've been having horrible bouts of insomnia lately.  It's disturbing me because I was a very good sleeper.  I think my sleep patterns are just off.  Because I can fall asleep during the day without any problem.

"Now I lay me down not to sleep.
I just get tangled in the sheets.
I swim in sweat three inches deep.
I just lay back and claim defeat...
Lids down, I count sheep.
I count heartbeats.
The only thing that counts is that
I won't sleep...My mind is racing,
filled with lists of things to do
and things I've done.
Another sleepless night's begun..."

Who Needs Sleep? Song By Barenaked Ladies

What's been happening to me is that I fall asleep with no problems.  It's staying asleep that's the thing.  I'm up and down at least 5 times a night.  I do manage to get to nap during the day but it's just not the same thing.  I've noticed that since my hip and leg pain has been getting worse so has my insomnia.  The pain is what wakes me up at night.  I have tried to keep myself medicated but that only makes me groggy.  Of course, it helps with the pain I have been experiencing (that's not to mention the regular pain I experience on a daily basis......... )  This is new and quite painful. 

I really do think that these meds are to blame for my insomnia.  I feel as if I am in a catch 22 situation.  I take meds to make my pain less intense and then I suffer from the consequences of those meds. 

Trying to treat my new hip and leg pain is driving me crazy.  When the medication wears off I am once again in pain. 

I have been thinking of asking one of my doctors (preferably my primary care doc) for a referral to a pain management center.  I'm alsogoing to ask him for a referral for an X-ray and MRI to find out what is causing this pain.  I am told that the pain I get in my chest from the costcondritis is something I have to live with.  I don't accept that.  Something has to be done to alleviate my pain.  Pain is not something that a person should be forced to live with.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely..Just telling you its something oyu have to ive with sounds unacceptable to me too...Idont blame you there..And WOW..It felt like I was reading my own journal with the sleeping pains..I am having upper leg and back cramps and pains and such with this pregnancy that get me up 2 or 3 times a night..I can hardly get to sleep and when I do its after ;aying there forever..AND I could sleep all day too!! ((HUGS)) SO, I know the miserable feeling this crappy sleep has...:(

Anonymous said...

So, was I have sympathy insomnia for you last night? I was still awake at 430 this morning for no reason!! I hate this. I'm like you, I could lay back down now and sleep the rest of the day but not sleep at night. Gr.

Love the Bare Naked Ladies!! They just rock. : ) One of my favorite bands there.

You know how I feel about doctors saying they can't do anything about this issue or that issue or you just have to live with it. I don't buy that. I think you should see a pain management doc. Keep me posted!

Love ya bunches,

Susan

Anonymous said...

Sending hugs and thinking of you always...
I like all the journaling you have been doing lately, keeps me informed about you...
Linda

Anonymous said...

Bless you, dear!  Pain management docs are very good.  I would recommend one.  They deal with the whole body and with pain.  Good luck, dear and hugs to ya! xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ValsThoughts