Monday, May 16, 2005

JUST ANOTHER DAY, WEEK, MONTH SURRENDERED TO LUPUS

As so many of you know. I was sent to the ER yesterday afternoon by my Primary Care Physician after I called him to explain the horrible pain in my legs so bad that I couldn't hardly put any weight on them.  My feet are very swollen.  I am having a hard time urinating and I keep getting double vision.  He send me over there.  I asked him to call first, which he did.  He was afraid of a UTI and that given my symptoms I might becoming septic.

Well, I went there.  Same old story.  This time they didn't even draw any blood.  They wanted me to give them a  urine sample.  I told them if I could urinate I think my PCP would not have sent me to you guys.  I took the cup anyway and tried.  When I couldn't provide a sample.  The nurse said okay, back to the guerny with you.  I'm setting up a foley.  I said do what you have to.

Everthing just went down hill from there.   I am sure most of you have had terrible experiences at the ER yourselves.  I just kept thinking "What the hell is wrong with you people.  I have 2 feet that are swollen beyond belief.  Not to mention that I can't urinate at will or at all most of the time.  I am unable to put pressure on my right foot.  Gary had to get me a wheelchair before I could get out of the car.

The only thing that concerned them was whether or not I had a UTI.  That's a big concern, but not the only reason I was visiting them.  I asked for a shot of lasix, they refused saying Dr. C only asked for a urine test.  I said I am sure if you call him back and tell him what the condition of my legs are he would agree.  Nope they couldn't do that for some reason I am not quite sure about.  They did manage to call my rheumi whose associate was on all.  I was given a medro pack with a bolus of oral 60 mg too.  For pain I was given 2 dilaudid pills.

My frustration level is at it's max.  I get into fits of crying.  Not because I am afraid, not because I am a baby.  Just because of the frustration I feel.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((Lu))))))))))))))))) I hope they can figure something out for you soon!

Love you,
Susan

Anonymous said...

((((((LuAnne!!)))))))))
Hon I'm so sorry you had this experience, and yep, we've all been there.  You remember a couple months ago when they stopped my heart at the ER, I hate going!

Praying that you feel better real soon hon, can you possibly get in to see your rheumi?  I feel terribly that you're so sick and can't get any help, it's not right!

love, ((((((gentle hugs))))))) and many prayers for you dear!
Missy

Anonymous said...

LuAnne....

   Being frustrated to tears does not make you a baby....it makes you human.  I personally think that the last exam for all doctors should be that they must have a serious illness before they get licensed.  Even if it is only getting their tonsils out.

It would give them a different view.....

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

PS:

I am sorry I missed your birthday in my anguish....


Happy belated Birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear LuAnne.......
I'm so sorry. You are suffering more than a person should. Your PC should of done a better job when calling the ER. I don't understand why people  don't want to make other people as comfortable as possible. I hope you are going to the pain dr soon. Lu you are crying because this is going on to long and how much can you take. I keep praying for you Lu but I'm going to make a compliant to The Lord that he needs to look into this matter with you.
You are in my prayers ..........(((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) Eileen

Anonymous said...

So sorry you had that bad experience LuAnne.  You know, I get those experiences at the ER sometimes too.  It is just awful!  It makes you not even want to go.  But keep on going, because sometimes they do get it right.  And hang in there.  Love, Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

LuAnne,
I am very concerned that you were prescribed a Medrol dose pack.  This med is notoroius for fluid retention.  I am confused as to what they are treating.  AND NO BLOOD WORK???????????  NO BUN?????????? WHAT DID THE CATH URINE SHOW?????????  I thought I was the only one with questionable medical care.  My Rheumatologist admitted to me that he likes the "money".  He won't change my pain meds to something more effective, because he will have to see me every month and he told me he didn't know if he would be there , from month to month.  So I have to "assume" that he is looking for greener (as in money green) pastures.  
Bring back the dedicated horse and buggy doc that came out in rain, snow, etc. and was  prone to stay with you through the night or day to make sure you were improving, before he left!

Anonymous said...

Lu,
What did the urine sample show?
Are you being followed up today by your doctor?
This is just the pits.
What are you supposed to be doing for the fluid retention?
Do you have a UTI or is this more of the lupus stuff?
So many questions...
(((((Hugs)))))
Love,
Loretta

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart, hang in there.  I love you and you are in my prayers. xox

Anonymous said...

IM sorry you had sucha bad time. This lady across from mom has lupus and something else shes in her late 30's early 40's. But I dont know a lot about it. I lvoe your graphic about budgit cuts and lights out LOL