Sunday, December 4, 2005

FOOT SURGERY

to all you out there in cyber space.

I need to tell you guys that I am humbled and thankful to all the replies I have been receiving via email and comments here from you.

            

You see ever since I had to stop working at a job that I loved.  And, a job that I excelled at.  I have been feeling quite inadequate.

The words you write telling me that I may be helping you,  even in the tiniest way has made me feel useful again.  

But what is more important than that, is that I have been receiving a lot of help from you all. 

So, even if I don't say it often enough I am very thankful.

That being said........

I am here recouperating from foot surgery.  As most of us with chronic illnesses such as Lupus even the minorest of procedures is a big deal for us.

The preparation for this stupid surgery was enough to bring me to tears.  Pre Admission testing was basically normal. Except that mine took twice the amount of time than usual.  Just going over my meds and diagnoses was lengthly.  And,with every med we discussed I had to explain what it was it was for, the dosage and how often I took it.  It was imperative that I assured them that I had begun the transition from coumain (jantoven = the generic form of coumadin) to lovenex injections.    When I would stop the injections (I have a black and blue belly to prove that I am injecting myself with lovenox), resume my coumadin, etc.  Explaining to the Nurse Practitioner that even though my temperature read 99.8, that those numbers were good for me.  Mine usually are 100 or so.

I had to continually remind them that I needed a bolus of solumedrol before and after the surgery.  Plus IV antibotics before and after.

Pre Admission testing was on Tuesday.  I had to see my PCP on Wednesday for medical clearance.  Then on Thursday morning more bloodtests to make sure that my platlettes were where they should be.

                                     

Then in the middle of all of this both of the cars that we just purchased needed to be brought in for servicing.  My Oldsmobile is still under warranty.  The Hyundai is not.  And, Gary thinks it needs a new power steering pump.  I intend to place a call to the owner of the car dealership where we bought the cars.  They had promised me that those cars were prepped and gone over with a "fine toothed comb" before they were handed over to us.  Guess what,  they weren't.  I  had already spoken to the dealership owner about a different subject (they crashed my son's car last time it was in for service) and he was very nice.

So you can see why I am freaking out. These things are not so bad, but I am becoming more and more incapable of dealing with stuff.

Back to my surgery.......  What should have taken the doctor 45 minutes ended up taking a bit less than 3 hours. I had a local with IV sedation.  So I slept through most of it.  I do remember my doctor saying............. Holy shit this is a mess.

My foot is bandaged up with loads of gauze and this new thing I had never seen before.  A gauze type ace banadage.  I cannot get it wet.  He said no showers until I see him on Tuesday.  Hand washing and washing my hair in the sink will have to suffice until I am given the okay to shower.

I have (from what I remember him saying, about a 4 or 5 inch incision with 12 stitchesw on the outside.

Yup it hurts, but if I keep myself medicated I am okay.  Been doing a lot of laying in bed with my foot propped up.  Ice on it for twenty minutes on and off for the next few days.  My back  has been killing me  from laying in bed.  Thank God for the massage chair pad thingie Gary bought me.

My man and family are taking exceptional care of me. Thank you God for giving me such a wonderful husband and kids.

I did manage to get all ofmy Christmas cards written and addressed. Tonight we are eating baked manicotti.  YUMMY

Plus I did a lot of online Christmas shopping.  So I am set.

All in all I feel pretty good.

Have a Blessed Day and Be Well my Friends.

                    

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Luanne,
Enjoyed reading your journal, and I am aware that life with lupus is more than just complicated. I am a pharmacist, and if you have any questions about meds (or anything related to your condition) I am prepared to try to answer them. Do you have access to information about your condition (I'm sure you do)? Willing to help, (professionally), if only to make life a little easier. It's better to know what you're up against, rather than being left in the dark.

Take care

http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/islandblogging/blogs/005132/index.shtml

Anonymous said...

Luanne!!!!  {{{ Hugs and love }}}  I am so sorry that this was so hard!  AND that you are in pain now.  I know how the prep is for surgery and it sucks - especially when you are a lupie.  Rest, enjoy the pain meds....take them even if you feel better so you don't start to suffer first.  Know that I am sending you lots and lots of prayers and love.

BE well -
Dawn

Anonymous said...

(((((((((Lu dear)))))))))))  I am so sorry the surgery was more complicated than the doc thought it would be.  I am praying for a good recovery for you and that you will continue making gains in energy and be given better days ahead.
I am so glad you are journaling again.  It's good for us out here --- and I'm thankful we encourage you!
loving you
karyl

Anonymous said...

((( luanne ))) hope this finds you feeling better (at least better medicated!!~).  my thoughts and prayers are with you as you recuperate from surgery.  if you need to chat you're on my buddy list, too, so look me up!  ((( hugs ))) tracey/one*hip*mama

Anonymous said...

Hi Luanne,
Hang in there, hope it all will feel a heck of a lot better around Christmas.
Sorry to hear that it was worse. But keep your chin up.
Take care,
Mimi.

Anonymous said...

Oh I did not know you were having foot surgery... I am glad you are doing alright and resting and even able to do a little preparing for Christmas... I haven't even done my cards yet. LOL...
Have a good week getting your foot better!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Get Well Lu. With all that is going on you sound GOOD.
You are in my prayers
Love
eileen