Sunday, September 26, 2004

Brain Cells

Today was my first appointment with the Neuropsychologist.    I must say that it was a very interesting appointment.  Dr. Weiss was very nice.  He was basically the same age as me.   Give or take a few  years.  After we went over my medical history (which baffled him ~~ as it does everyone) we began the first part of the testing.  He asked me to name some words that began with the letter A.  Not such an easy task.  No names.  Just words.  I think I called out 4.  Maybe 5.  Not more than that.  Then he asked for words that began with the letter F.  Again I couldn't think.  I maybe got 4.  He asked me to name words that began with the letter S.  I did better this time.  Blurted out a bunch of S words.  More than 5.  He said I just made "Normal" because I said a bunch of "S" words.  LOL So I am normal because I know a lot of "S" words.  Little does he know I just looked around the room and saw a lot of S things.  oh well.  Next he gave me a paper to fill out.  It had a lot of questions about how I felt.  I answered them.  He told me I am moderately depressed.  I don't need a questionnaire to tell me that.  He told me that is understandable considering all I have been through.  It comes and goes.  When things get hard to handle and my shoulders are too feable to ferry the burdens.  I feel sad.  That's really all that's going on.  I don't think its really depression.  I have to go back to finish the test in four more sessions.  Then we will know exactly how many brain cells I have lost.  Wonder how many?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Weiss sounds like an excellent psych., Lu.
The testing is tiresome, but the results will help you build on strengths to compensate for the areas that have been weakened by the health problems...ie. learning to use visual cues to make up S words...lol!
Regarding the depression, the Diagnostic Statistical Manual IV for mental health diagnoses has a special category for Depression due to medical condition. We lupies fall into that category. It has to be treated as a medical problem because beyond the situations that can cause depression, we also have neurochemical imbalances or neurological damage contributing to the depression thing. Of course, we get depressed... we would almost be crazy not to!
((((HUGS))))
Loretta