Wednesday, January 18, 2006

FATIGUE

One of the most troubling symptoms of Lupus for me is fatigue.  I think it's because there is nothing that can be done about it. 

Fatigue is not the same as tired.  When a person is tired and they go to bed and get a good night's sleep.  They usually wake up refreshed.  Those of us with Lupus hardly ever have a refreshing night's sleep.  And, if we do we relish it.  We celebrate it. 

Lupus fatigue is much different.  

Most of people are guilty of not understanding that these two words do not have the same meaning. 

I was one of those people.  That is until I found out first hand that there is a huge difference between being tired and being fatigued.

Lupus is characterized by remissions and flares.  I am pretty lucky because I haven't really experienced a monster flare that has lasted longer than a month or so. And, even with that the worst of it has been a week or so.

I  have learned (or I think I have) how my flares work.  How they come on.  What precedes them.

People often tell me that I should know how to avoid the triggers to my flares.  This is all but impossible.  The fact remains that I have Lupus.  Lupus is still a mystery.

What I mean when I write that I think I have learned how my flares work.  What I mean is that I can predict their track.

There are two courses my body can take before and during a flare.

The first and most common for me is all of a sudden my vision will change.  I see wavy lines.  Wavy lines that are accompanied with flashing lights.  When this happens I know I will soon be having a seizure.  And, then it's pretty downhill from there.

The second and most recent thing that happens is that I begin to experience chest pain.  Nothing to do with my heart, just pain. 

They call it Costochondritis.  Costochondritis is an inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breast bone or sternum.  Let me tell you it's painful.  I thrash my body about just trying to find some comfortable position where the pain is not so intense.

After one of the above occurs my body shuts down.  Any one of the above is proceeded by extreme fatigue.  Nausea, diarrhea.  And, the most horrific pain.  Each and every part of my body becomes inflamed.

The fatigue that accompanies lupus is not the same tiredness you experience after a sleepless night or hard physical work. Instead, it's an ongoing, extreme exhaustion that's usually not relieved by rest.

Then BOOM!!!!  My body returns to "normal".  I can't explain why this occurs.  Could be the prednisione.  Could be anything.

FATIGUE:
Text: a complete depletion of energy or strength Synonyms: burnout, collapse, exhaustion, prostration, tiredness, weariness

TIRED:
Text: depleted in strength, energy, or freshness.
Synonyms: beat, bushed, worn-out

Here are some of the sites I used to find information for this entry.

Lupus - MayoClinic.com

About fatigue - Fatigue.

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus ~ After Dx

Health Minute: Living with lupus: when the body turns on itself

 

I am just trying to get across to those who do not understand that there is a difference between being tired and being fatigued.

It's just another one of those days.  And, as always, I will get through it.  We all say......... I may have Lupus, but Lupus doesn't have me.  But, I think that today Lupus has me.  I have surrendered to it.  Today Lupus is a thief.  A thief that has robbed me of my precious energy.

And, to quote Loretta when she wrote in her entry entitled......LUPUS SLUMP.

"This is not a complaint...just a statement of facts.

     This is what it is like to live with lupus."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

lupus ... the fatigue bandit.  don't you wish we could arrest & convict it?  it's got me today, too.  my thoughts & prayers are with you!  trace

Anonymous said...

The way I explain it to people is that  Tired means you can rest or sleep and it will get better.  Fatigue will not get better with rest or sleep and leaves only when it is ready to go.

Hope yours moves out soon.

Be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I so much know what you mean by fatigued.  I don't know if it compares but I have RA and i have flares as well.  I try my best to keep moving and not stop.  I have been told that once you stop you might just stop for good.  I am sorry that you are having one of those flares and pray you will soon be back to feeling better.  Thankyou for sharing your life with Lupus.  TerryAnn.  

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this information, Lu.  Fatigue is worse than pain to me usually.  I hate fatigue.   I think it is my worse symptom.  Atleast with pain you can usually keep moving.  I try and explain fatigue as someone turning on a faucet and draining all the energy out of me.  That's what it feels like to me.  It is hard to hold my coffee cup in the morning.  It is hard to hold my head up sometimes.  My eyes become slits.  Sleep does not help.  Sometimes it makes it worse.  My friends and family now know when I am fatigued.  Still, I think it is hard to explain fatigue to those who don't experience it.  Hugs to you, honey!!  Have a good weekend! xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ValsThoughts

Anonymous said...

Thanks for expaining what fatigue is so well.  Yes, tired and fatigued are not the same thing.I pray that your energy is returning

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your lupus.  I'm happy that you have a wonderful mother like I do.  I know it helps.  Just hang in there.