Saturday, October 22, 2005

Lupie Fog

Lupie Fog ~~ Brainfog and Its Signficance  A great site.

 

I’m going to write a little bit about cognitive dysfunction.  It's a subject that many of my Lupie friends are having difficulty with.  But, I can only write about my experiences. 

 

Lately I have been misusing my words.  I just cannot find the right word to describe what is in my mind.  Just this afternoon my daughter, Lauren, made a cup of hot chocolate.  It smelled delicious.  I asked her if there were mushrooms in it.  She said "Mushrooms?"  I said, "Mushrooms."  It didn't occur to me that I was saying the wrong word.  This scared me because usually I would know the word in my head but it would come out incorrectly.  Now I can't even find the right word.

 

But that is not the worst of it. 

 

On many occassions I could not even get my thoughts out verbally.  It was like I was stuttering my words.  I just couldn't get my thought out.  It's even gotten to the point that I am having a difficult time with my thought process.

 

I tell people the same thing over and over again.  Not remembering that I have said the same thing before.  It has gotten to the point where I will say "Have I told you this before?"  after speaking.

 

A real problem for me is getting lost and confused.  It's like a cruel circle that I am traveling.  I get upset and confused when I get upset and confused.  Am I making any sense?

 

I hate it.

 

It is making me very apprehensive.

 

It's not pretty.

 

Cognitive dysfunction is common in those who have Lupus. 

 

Even more common when someone has Lupus and Antiphisiploid Antibody Syndrome. 

 

Can you imagine have all of the above plus Fibromylagia?  Yikes.

 

One of the medications I take is called Namanda, well I think that's the way to spell it.  I am too lazy to get up and look.  But, my point is that it's a medication given to patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer's.

 

A giant YIKES!

 

The following is from SYSTEMIC LUPUS AND THE NERVOUS SYSTEM

 

SYMPTOMS OF CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM LUPUS

 Central Nervous System (CNS)Vasculitis

CNS vasculitis represents inflammation of the blood vessels of the brain. It occurs in up to 10% of all lupus patients, and is the only form of CNS disease that is included in the American College of Rheumatology criteria for defining SLE. Characterized by high fevers, seizures, psychosis and meningitis-like stiffness of the neck, it can rapidly progress to stupor and coma if not aggressively managed. CNS vasculitis is the most serious form of SLE and usually requires hospitalization and high doses of corticosteroids. Infection should be ruled out before treatment is initiated. Seizures occur when injured or scarred brain tissue becomes the focus of abnormal electrical discharges. They may be a one-time occurrence or a persistent problem. Anti-convulsant medications are used to prevent seizures by controlling the brain's abnormal electrical discharges.

Cognitive Dysfunction

At some point during the course of their lupus, up to 50% of lupus patients describe feelings of confusion, fatigue, memory impairment, and difficulty expressing their thoughts. This collection of symptoms is called "cognitive dysfunction" and is found in people with mild to moderately active SLE. These symptoms may be clearly documented by neuropsychological testing, and a newer neurodiagnostic test called the positron emission tomography (PET) scan shows reproducible blood flow abnormalities. The reason for these symptoms is not known but it may have something to do with changes in how a group of chemicals known as cytokines are handled or may be related to certain parts of the brain not getting enough oxygen. Spinal taps, brain wave tests (EEG), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computerized tomography (CT) scans of the brain may all be normal. Antimalarials and/or steroids may be useful, but the management of cognitive dysfunction is often frustrating and currently no optimal therapy is available. Counseling and other interventions that assist a person in developing coping skills may be helpful. Cognitive dysfunction may come and go on its own.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My point is (do I have a point?)  I am getting lost here as I write.  AllI wanted to say is that it's hard to deal with.  I'm wondering if one day I will wake up and be unaware of my surroundings.  Geez, I wonder.  What I wonder more is .... When someone gets like that do they know on the inside what is going on?  Or is every memory and ounce of knowledge gone?

Yes, this scares me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lu dear, thank you for sharing and helping to inform others about these frightening symptoms and complications.  I am praying for you dear, that the Lord will help you deal with whatever is going on and bring you help, strength and comfort.
loving you
karyl

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that you struggle with this. I can understand that it must be very scary. You are in my thoughts. Margo

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that you struggle with this. I can understand that it must be very scary. You are in my thoughts. Margo

Anonymous said...

Hi Lu, I really appreciate this information that you have found. I have experienced these symptoms for many years on and off prior to 2000 in a milder form. But in 2000 during a major flare..I experienced "expressive aphasia" in the worst form, I could not express the appropriate response, couldn't express what I was thinking at all, I would begin stuttering and then my words would progress into complete "sludge", garbled beyond recognition. During these times I knew in my mind what I wanted to say but just couldn't not express it. I could write it so that is what I did, carried a note pad around with me. Talk about scary.  They thought I had vasculitis of the brain.  I had a spect scan of the brain at John Hopkins hospital and it showed dimension blood flow (decreased perfusion) to the temporal and frontoparietal regions of the brain. They said it had to be confirmed by an arteriogram but by the time I made it to Hopkins for this test my speech had improved(it took a couple months to get an appt there) Since I was still sooooooo sick physically from the flare, I refused the arteriogram. Bad mistake on my part, I should of had it for the record. Also throughout my years during flares I have had amnesia, couldn't remember days at a time of a hospitilizations. During other flares, I have gotten lost while driving in familiar places, put items away in inappropriate places, forgotten how to use simple items..like a radio etc. These flares were from the APS.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you have to deal with this at all.  I, too, do the mushroom thing.  They wrong word pops out, or I can't get the word out at all anymore...it is so frustrating.  However, I do not have APS or seizures, thank goodness, and I am so sorry that you do, you suffer with this far too much.  I am praying for you Luanne, it is all I can do.  And be your friend!  I am always here for you...

Be well
Dawn

http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/
Poetry:
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/TouchofEmpathy/

Anonymous said...

Hey Lu,
I think we should all print out a copy of this and distribute it to our doctors. I don't think they "get it".
This is scary stuff.
Fortunately, you have a strong spiritual foundation... and that will get you through this.
(((((Genlt Hugs)))))
With Love,
Loretta

Anonymous said...

This happens to my sister Val a lot.  She will use the wrong words.  She calls it "Brain Fog".

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Lupus and MS are so the same.....

I am afraid of losing my mind.

I am more afraid that I will lose my mind and NOT notice that I lost it.


That scares the crap out of me.


a

lot

PS:  what was wrong with mushrooms?