Tuesday, August 2, 2005

To every thing there is a season

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: Ecclesiastes 3:1

I found this wonderful website written by a Christian woman with LupusONE WOMAN'S STORY: Living with Lupus - Women 

It’s so amazing that most of the stories I have been reading this morning say the same thing.  Such as, I went years without knowing what was wrong with me or The doctors told me it was all in my head or It was my age; after all I was no spring chicken.  You all know how it goes.  The words that doctors tell us before anyone knows what is going on with us makes us feel sad, worthless and like we are just lazy.  But we know better.  There was (and is) something definitely wrong.  Then when we finally get the answer.  The "Diagnosis" we feel like a weight has been lifted off us.  And, we all know that it's not because we want something to be wrong.  But, we have known something has been wrong for so long.  It's a relief to know that there is a name for it.  That's all we are feeling when we are told the "News." 

My first rheumatologist told me that she wasn't going to tell me my diagnosis because she felt it would scare me.  I told her how could it scare me?  I had been through so much in the last years.  I had two strokes.  And, you think that telling me I have Lupus (plus I was already diagnosed with antiphisiploid syndrome) would scare me.  I told her I was relieved.  I have since changed rheumatologists for a number of reasons.  The main reason being that she did not treat my condition as aggressively as it needed to be treated.

Back to the relief we feel when we are finally diagnosed.  Getting a diagnosis drives away all the negative comments and statements we have received for so long.  Getting a diagnosis puts a name to what we are experiencing.  No one wants to be sick, but if we feel like crap all the time.  When we have been experiencing paralyzing fatigue, excruciating pain and a myriad of other symptoms it's a comfort.  Only those who have been experiencing what we experience know how we feel.  Others just look at us like we are crazy when we tell them we finally have a name to what is wrong.  “I have Lupus (and like so many of us have said) It doesn’t have me.

Here are some excerpts from the above website.

Through this trial, I've learned having a chronic illness is not a death sentence. There are times when I feel healthy and energetic and have helped my husband paint the house, clean out the garage, and rearrange the furniture. I try to nap every afternoon, and three or four days per month I find I must have total rest. My family'ssupported me by reading and studying as much as I have to better understand my condition.

The most important lesson I've learned through my experience is that this disease isn't God's punishment for my past sins. In Jesus Christ, all my sins have been forgiven. Lupus is a side effect of living in a fallen world; my responsibility is to use my circumstances to glorify God. And I know he's given me a ministry to others who are similarly afflicted. 

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that Luanne.  A beautiful sentiment and a wonderful journal to check out!

Be well,

Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/TouchofEmpathy/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful christian journal and for sharing the heartbreak and frustration of trying to get a diagnosis.
Hopefully others will be encouraged by your story. Don't give up. Go to another doctor if one isn't treating you with respect.

Anonymous said...

you are a brave woman!! judi

Anonymous said...

important lesson I've learned through my experience is that this disease isn't God's punishment for my past sins

Thank you Luanne, I think I needed to hear that, and this is a great entry.  ((((Luanne))))))
Love you,
Mariann

Anonymous said...

Lu dear, I could really identify with wondering if this illness was God's punishment for former sins and concluding it is not.  It's so true that we live in a fallen world we struggle with the effects of that fall.  Some are spiritual effects but some are physical.  Regardless, we can cry out to a loving Father in Heaven for fresh comfort, strength and hope for each day.
loving you
karyl

Anonymous said...

"To every thing there is a season............"

Dear Lu  ~~ I have had a plaque with this reminder for many, many years.  (Right next to my "I Need Patience, And I Want It Right Now!")  They are both in my bedroom-- so they really DO remind me....... at least every morning.

Thank you so much for sharing this--- it is especially meaningful to me and has guided me thru the many roads my life has travelled.  God is, after all, in charge of my life.  The Seasons continue to come and go.....  Love and Gentle Hugs from Me.

Anonymous said...

I am60 and have had symptoms as far back as 23, mostly without any diagnoses.  Just "I'm putting you on strong arthritis medicine (Indocin), but you're too young to have these symptoms."  I was referred to a psychiatrist, at 32, when my G.P and a pulmonologist couldn't diagnosis my chest pain. An orthopedic who put a hand on each side of my rib cage and pushed inward, diagnosed me with costalchondritis!  At 40 I was finally diagnosed with a negative ana lupus and fibromyalgia. I finally had a name for all of my symptoms, most of which nobody knew I had. I wasn't going to complain and be called a hypochondriac, I was an R. N.  I  worked in the newborn nursery ,when I was 34, the physical demands are less there, then I went to a desk job at 40. In 1994, at age 49, too tired to even get dressed for work and chronic depression set in, I qualified for disability.  I was proud I had hung on this long.  Now, I do what I feel like doing and if I don't feel like doing anything, who cares?  My life is full of compromises and I have learned that acceptance is a lot easier than whining and moaning and thrashing and blaming God!  Right now, as of 3 weeks ago, I moved in with my ex-husband. He will be 72 this month and his memory is getting kinda bad,  we will be the blind leading the blind.  He has been better to me than when we were married, lol, so we decided to "see it through to the end", like we once planned.  It ain't easy, I am stubbornly independent and he is very needy.  We lock horns, like today I worked very hard cleaning our teensy bathroom (he isn't as clean as I am) and I had to scrub the tub with s.o.s..  I was proud of the results.  Tonight, I heard some strange sounds coming from the bathroom, he told me he was washing the blinds from his bedroom windows!  God will help me, He always has!  Besides, tomorrow is my payday, I can go get a pedicure and feel like a new woman!

Anonymous said...

LuAnne,
You are doing a great service!

Keep up the good work!

Mary Louise

Anonymous said...

LuAnne, this is absolutely beautiful!  What a wonderful and positive journal entry.  Thanks for sharing that, we all need to read and hear about the positives sometimes, especially from a Christian standpoint.

love, (((hugs))), and prayers to you and yours dear!
Missy

Anonymous said...

Wow Luanne...now I am off to read her jouranl.

Anonymous said...

You always sound so strong.  I dont think I would be in your situation.  God loves you,  Nicki