Thursday, January 29, 2009

I was asked if I could check my own INR. There was a time when I did do just that. But with the new health insurance I have now, they do not pay for the supplies unless you have an artificial heart valvue. I have the machine but those supplies are very expensive. I used to check my own by doing a finger stick and then call in the numbers to the local anti coagulation clinic and they would go over my dosage and make any necessary adjustments. I wish I could do that again.

1 comment:

ADB said...

Not telling you what to do, but if low INR readings put you at risk of TIAs (which are of course only one step away from a full-blown stroke), I'd either change insurance or get someone to write a letter to those insurers to insist you have those supplies. Again, Luanne, I don't know your circumstances (it's very easy to pontificate from across the pond), but from a point of view of risk vs benefit, this situation is unacceptable.

Guido