Sunday, February 12, 2006

Sunday

Good morning!! 

 

This morning I woke up to a winter wonderland. We are having a blizzard here in New York. I believe we already have 9 inches of snow.  My husband was called to be at work at midnight because they were expecting higher than normal tides.  He is still there.  My daughter, Lauren, is still at work.  She was supposed to get off at 6 am but her replacement has not shown up yet so she is still there.  I think it’s better for her to be there now.  I cannot pick her up because my car is snowed in and the visibility is not good. The weatherman said that there are white out conditions.  So she has to walk home.  It’s not far maybe ¾ of a mile.  It’s better if she walks home when it’s a little lighter out.  I feel bad but there is no way I can get there.  Can’t dig my car out and even if I could our street is not plowed yet and I have to drive downhill to get out of our street.

 

 

I have been feeling pretty good lately.  As many of you know I joined a circuit type gym.  It’s been two weeks and I have to say it’s very hard.  But I go!  Three times a week!  I have also been watching what I eat.  I have cheated once or twice in the last three weeks.  Hey it’s a beginning.  And I am feeling so much better.  That is what counts.

 

 

I wanted to write about “empty nest” syndrome.  I have been feeling like that lately.  My children are still living at home but they are becoming adults with lives of theirown.  I’m having a difficult time with this.  Don’t get me wrong, I am so happy that they are growing up into active, responsible adults.  That’s not it.  It’s that I have been feeling a little useless.  And, a lot lonely.  Gary and I are getting to spend some quality time together.  We get to go out alone.  This is something we haven’t been able to do in a long time.  I mean without having to hire and pay for a baby sitter. It’s really bittersweet.  I am happy that they are going out on their own but sad that they are no longer my babies.

 

 

My son is a bit more sentimental than my daughter is.  He always has been.  Lauren always liked to do things her own way.  This is a very good quality.  I am very proud that she is becoming a decisive and independent woman.  And, she is my baby.  There are times when I think that she doesn’t need me at all.  But, then there are times like this morning when she really needs me.  To pick her up that is.  

Garyis very independent.  He comes and goes when ever he wants.  This has me being the quintessential worrying Mother.  I am going to have to get used to all of this.

 

 

Otherwise I am enjoying this independence.  And, am loving spending time alone with Gary.  We are able to go out to dinner on the weekends. 

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lu dear, congrats on pressing on with the circuit training and taking better care of yourself.  I am so delighted that you are feeling better!
I think taking control of some part of health issues produces plenty of good effects and reduces that sensation of sliding downwards into paralyzing fatigue and endless depression.  At least it does for me!
I'm praying your daughter has made it home safely by now and you all will stay safe and warm during this blast of winter weather.
I am glad you are able to see some advantages to the empty nest, dear.  It can be a rough time for some women.  I think it helps to be interested in life and have fun hobbies apart from being a mom.
loving you
karyl

Anonymous said...

Hey Lu!

Sometimes blizzards are fun, but only when your loved ones are all safe and cozy at home with you.

Lauren needs probably needs you more now than you realize.

;)

I am excited about you working at the gym.
Does this give you more energy?
Does it effect the lupus flares?

Having quality time with Gary sounds wonderful too. ENJOY!

You sound great, by the by!

With loads of love,
Loretta

Anonymous said...

Lu, I'm glad you posted today.  I was wondering what you were up to =)!  I am so proud of you for continuing on with your exercising and dieting.  Hey, they say that if you cheat once in awhile you will be more successful than if you never cheat.  So let yourself cheat a bit!  Hey, we do need to do that phone call soon.  I have had a CRAZY few weeks, but it is quieting down.  So, we will talk about that phone call again, okay?  Love you sooooooooo much!!! xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ValsThoughts

Anonymous said...

YAY!! Its so wonderful to find you at peace. I know I will have the same feelings once all my kids are out of the house..but I bet at times it IS fun to not have to worry when going places and such!!..((HUGS)) Enjoy the snow..its snowing like crazy here in KY too..has been all weekend..fun stuff as long as we have nowhere to go right?..HAHA (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Oh Mommy Luanne!  I relate to this and mine are only 13,11 and 9!  I say to Glenn all the time...'soon they aren't going to need me!'  {{{ hugs }}}  I think you are a fabulous mom and they seem to be great kids.... kudos to you and big Gary!  I am so proud of you doing the circuit gym!  That is so great!  You are a wonder woman in my book!  

Btw, we have 20 something inches...yikes!

Be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

yep I understand about the kids.  I have a 19 year old daughter who works and comes and goes and I have my 15 year old boy/girl twins.  My son is home a lot more but my daughter is never home.  It's so quiet somedays. Happy your feeling a little better that's great.
http://journals.aol.com/am4039/life/

Anonymous said...

Hello LuAnne!
Thanks for stopping by my journal!  I'm glad to meet a new friend!  I'm having the same feeling you are about the empty nest.  My twins will be 16 on monday, and my oldest daughter is 18 & is living at the college dorms for the first time.  It is so hard!  Maybe we can stick together & root each other on & make it easier?!?!  ha ha ha !!  Good Luck!  I will come back & read some of your past entries & catch up on you a bit later when I have more time.  Right now it is almost 3am, and its time for me to shut my laptop lid & try to get some sleep!  The twins will have to get up in about 3 hours.  So sleep, here I come!  Talk to you again soon, k?
Lots of Hugs, Linda

Anonymous said...

Whew took forever to get back here.  Look how many days I have been going through alerts and just now am at yours.  I am glad thatyou are feeling better.  right now I am typing with a pillow under my arm.  My neck and shoulder as well as entire right arm down to the wrist is killing me. I do enjoy reading your journal and the tips and information that you give.  Hope you have a great weekend with your family.  I know the feeling of your babies growing up.  I have three children ages 21, 11 and 3.  I have mine spread out.  so, I don't know how I would be feeling if they all had to leave at about the same time. oldest dd is now married and made me a grandma in Dec.  Takecare, TerryAnn